Beauty of English language :
Professor Ernest Brennecke of Columbia is credited with inventing a sentence that can be made to have eight different meanings by placing ONE WORD in all possible positions in the sentence:
“I hit him in the eye yesterday.”
The word is “ONLY”.
1. ONLY I hit him in the eye yesterday. (No one else did.)
2. I ONLY hit him in the eye yesterday. (Did not slap him.)
3. I hit ONLY him in the eye yesterday. (I did not hit others.)
4. I hit him ONLY in the eye yesterday (I did not hit outside the eye).
5. I hit him in ONLY the eye yesterday (Not other organs).
6. I hit him in the ONLY eye yesterday (He doesn’t have another eye).
7. I hit him in the eye ONLY yesterday (Not today).
8. I hit him in the eye yesterday ONLY (Did not wait for today).
This is the beauty and complexity of the English language.
Source …facebook share