Give your idlis a healthy twist.
Photograph: Kind courtesy Upendra Kanda/Creative Commons
Hot and sour idli
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup arhar dal/ toovar dal
- Red chillies
- 1 onion, chopped
- A pinch of hing
- 1 tsp grated jaggery
- Soak the rice and dal separately in three cups of water for four hours.
- Grind red chillies and tamarind to fine paste. Grind dal and rice separately.
- Add grated jaggery and red chillies, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Set aside for four to five hours to ferment.
- Lightly grease idli moulds and put the batter. Once steamed, serve the idlis with chutney.
- 5-6 idlis
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1/2 ginger, finely chopped
- 1 dry red chilli
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- Crumble 5 to 6 idlis and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When they start crackling, add urad dal and cumin seeds.
- Saute till the urad dal turns golden. Add 5 to 6 curry leaves (chopped or kept whole), ginger, red chili and green chili.
- Stir and then add the chopped onion. Mix well and saute for a minute or two.